Gamers and TV show lovers help me!
Gamers and TV show lovers help me!
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General Public]
Secondary: None

1 2 >>>
1851 days ago Edited 1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #1

I recently discovered my friend has been woefully underexposed to nerd culture (he hasn't played Ocarina of Time, for god's sake!), and so for his birthday I'm giving him a nerd crash course on a flash drive. So here's what I would like from you guys

A list of games to put on here. I want computer games mostly, trying to get this kid to use an emulator is a challenge I don't want to deal with. Also, try to think outside FPS. He's your typical "bro" so he's already played Call of Duty and Halo. However, that said, just because it has some FPS elements doesn't mean I don't want it. For example, I am including Mass Effect 2 on there. Which reminds me, don't do a whole series, pick the best game of the series FOR A NEW PLAYER. Some games get better with sequels, but he will need to understand WTF is going on. Also, I don't think he really likes RTS games, and I'm already going to put Starcraft 2 on there, so that pretty much covers that genre IMO. Finally, I don't know the specs of his system, so be on the safe side and keep it limited in horsepower. I also will be perusing some of the games on this list, so make sure to include fun indie titles!

A list of shows for him to watch. He likes your typical sitcom shows, How I Met Your Mother and the like, but he also likes The League on FX and stuff like that. Again, recommend good shows, but don't think he's going to sit down and watch all 5 seasons of The Wire.

I am either going to buy a 16 gig flash drive, or a 32 gig one. So that's basically your size limit. I also have DVDs lying around, but DVDs suck so I don't want to use them.

--
A good Blitzcrank will win the game at the laning phase by repeatedly grabbing and killing the enemy carry. A bad Blitzcrank will win the game 35 minutes in when he lands one of his 500 billion grabs on the enemy carry through sheer luck.
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #2

Warcraft 2 or 3.
Carmageddon. (Shit is so old anything can play that)
Doom (Numbah 1.)

--
I ain't living right, but I ain't going out without a fight, for I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night.
1851 days ago Edited 1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #3

Tetris and Bejeweled

I really like that show The Big Bang.

--
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #4

Diablo 2 + LOD (people still play it )
Big Bang Theory is Nerdtastic
GTA San Andreas (Stop the Damn train CJ)
Command & Conquer Red alert 2 + yuri's Revenge
LOZ: A link to the past
Super Punch out
Legend of Dragoon (best RPG ever Imo)
Bioshock (1 or 2)
Fight night round 3 was fantastic if he likes sports
Half Life 2 (Plus Episode 1 + 2)
Portal

--
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #5

I'd recommend the entire Metal Gear series, but if I had to pick just one game that would work as a stand-alone I'd say that MGS3 is probably the best option. It's a sequel (obviously) but the plot doesn't really depend on the other MGS games to follow along, and nobody really understands Hideo's games regardless.

Psychonauts is pretty great, probably one of the wittiest games I've played.

I don't watch a lot of television, but I've downloaded and enjoyed Dexter and Mad Men. If he likes older stuff I always recommend Buffy, Firefly, and pretty much anything by Joss Whedon. And the BBC mini-series Sherlock is easily my favourite show right now, although it's criminal that there are only 6 episodes and we have to wait forever for the third season.
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #6

Portal and Portal 2 are definite winners. Skyrim is another solid game.

For TV, the "bro" crew really seem to like shows like The Shield and Sons of Anarchy.

--
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #7

Fallout 3
FF7 (ofc)
Deus Ex (Orignal)
Baulder's Gate 2
Neverwinter Nights
Star Wars: Tie Fighter
Rainbow Six Vegas (1 or 2)
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #8

Game of Thrones
Sparticus
Mortal kombat 2 (snes one)

Also what chip said MGS is fantastic. I recently bought the HD Ps Vita Remakes after never playing them before and im enjoying myself quite a bit.

Saints row 3 is also quite a blast that a "Bro" would enjoy (cutting down 100Ft hookers with ninja swords, Dildo shaped baseball bats, flying moterbikes with rockets!)

System shock was excellent aswell, an older game but deffently one of the better games!

Amnisa dark decent.

--
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #9

Tecro, you had me at 100ft hookers.

Oh, if your 'bro' friend has the attention span for RPGs then I definitely recommend that you hook him up with Chrono Trigger. It's pretty much the gold standard for JRPGs, with a great story and character development to boot. The Final Fantasy series got pretty shitty after X, imo, but the early stuff is good. Dragon Warrior is another old school RPG with some fun elements, and Breath of Fire is worth a look as well.

Actually, I'd consider Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter as separate from the main BoF series (and recommend it above the others, for a bro) since it represents a major departure from the established world. I really enjoyed it, the visual style was really polished for the technology it ran on and I found the combat system to be a welcome challenge given how easy games have become over the years.
1851 days ago Edited 1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #10

I ♥ NERDS

--
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #11

Quote by Chiphoof
Tecro, you had me at 100ft hookers.

I dont mess around when it comes to 100Ft Hookers, Shits so fun. If you like GTA at all, its the same sandbox style but so much more funny then GTA. Burt Rynalds is the mayor, Zombies, Ninja swords..

Brb Going to replay this Gem.

--
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #12

I need to go kill 100 foot hookers with tecro.

--
I ain't living right, but I ain't going out without a fight, for I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night.
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #13

TV shows
Firefly
Star Trek The Next Generation
Star Trek Deep Space 9
Babylon Five
Earth; Final Conflict
Xena Warrior Princess (ha!)
Andromeda
Stargate SG1, Alantis, Universe
Full Metal Alc
Cowboy Bebop
Aqua Teen Hunger Force

(I'm assuming you have the newer more popular games on your list)
Castlevania
Civilization
MYST
Age of Empires
MechWarrior 2
Twisted Metal
Portal 1 & 2
Morrowind/Oblivion etc
Mortal Combat
Mario Brothers (of course) Mario 3 was the best
Dragon Warriors 3
Earthbound
Fable (all of them)
HalfLife 1 & 2
Silent Hill

Movies:
Goonies
Pandorum
Aliens 2
Indiana Jones
Ace Ventura
The Abyss
The Fifth Element
Big Fish
Predator (all of them)
Rocky
Enter the Dragon/Way of the Dragon (bruce lee)
Animal House
Groundhogs Day
CLERKS

--
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #14

Myst sucked and we all know it.
Age of empires, that was my shit though.

--
1851 days ago Edited 1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #15

Quote by Mardraum

Consider for a moment, the possibility that you may have no imagination.
1851 days ago Rating: 0 | #16

Quote by Mardraum

--
1846 days ago Edited 1846 days ago Rating: 0 | #17

So here's the list so far
GamesShowsMovies
SKyrim
Plants vs Zombies
League of Legends
Bastion
Dead Island
Fallout 3
Braid
Bioshock
Mass Effect 2
The Sims
Sim City 3k
Half Life 2
Portal
Age of Empires
Roller Coaster Tycoon
C&C Red Alert
Community
Parks & Rec
The League
Doctor Who
Robot Chicken
Lost
IT Crowd
Archer
Game of Thrones
New Girl
Portlandia
Trailer Park Boys
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
White Collar
The Big Bang Theory
Firefly
Schindler's list
The Godfather Trilogy
Animal House
High Fidelity
Obviously, movies are a bit lacking, so I would like to beef that one up a bit. But I think this is a pretty kicking list for now.

--
A good Blitzcrank will win the game at the laning phase by repeatedly grabbing and killing the enemy carry. A bad Blitzcrank will win the game 35 minutes in when he lands one of his 500 billion grabs on the enemy carry through sheer luck.
1846 days ago Rating: 0 | #18

hes gotta watch the prestige

--
1846 days ago Rating: 0 | #19

Terminator 1 & 2
Back to the Future
Equilibrium
The Matrix
Dragonheart
28 Days Later
Spirited Away
Donnie Darko
Tank Girl
Stardust
The Princess Bride
1846 days ago Rating: 0 | #20

Like if you want to get down and nerdy with this..
Movies:Harry Potter, LotR, Underworld, Firefly-Serenity, Resident Evil, any cheesey b-rated horor movie from the 80s

Shows: Soul Eater, One Piece, True Blood, Big Bang Theory

My mind is blank atm.. thats all I can think of.

--

.......Y___Y
.......( ^v^)")
.....(,,) \w/)/ SHROOMEE
.......(,,,),,)

1 2 >>>
[Back to Index]
718 Unique Members
0 Posts in 24 hours
0 Posts in 7 days
Khriis is the winner!
718 Unique Members